Metito was the first company to introduce the reverse osmosis (RO) technology for desalination outside the USA in 1972 and since then the Company has developed thousands of successful projects using the same technology across the world. Metito has led the trend to mega seawater (SW) desalination in a number of countries with the latest being in Egypt. Metito developed and commissioned Al Galala SWRO plant, the largest seawater desalination plant in Egypt with capacity of 150,000m3/day and is now developing Al Arish SWRO with capacity of 200,000m3/day. The chemical solutions used for both projects are of world-class quality and ensure the optimum operations and sustainable success of such projects.
- RO operation requires the assurance of water quality and efficient production of water and Metito offers complete and reliable RO solutions including, pre-treatment modules, cartridge, multi-media, filters, pre-filtration, softeners and chemical feed systems. The full ranges of RO chemicals are approved by and accredited from all market leading membrane manufacturers with NSF Standard 60approvals- and compatible with the various membrane types.
- Metito’s chemicals under the Desalination Program are highly effective and cover all types of feed water types: brackish, seawater, fresh and industrial waste water. They can also be applied over a wide range of pH spectrum with assured compatibility.
- All solutions under this program are computer modelled by advanced software to include full evaluation of all mechanical, operational and chemical parameters including cationic/anionic feed water analysis. Online monitoring and detection solutions are also available to remotely control chemical feeds and to continuously monitor operations and performance insuring a safe and sustainable supply of water and minimal downtime.
Desalination is a technique where the excess salts are removed from sea water or brackish water converting it into safe potable or usable water. Desalination methods are categorized into thermal processes and membrane processes.
- Antiscalants: Prevention of mineral scale deposits on membranes by use of effective antiscalants can assure the prevention of membrane fouling and optimum plant productivity. Metito wide range of antiscalants, with a track record of nearly 40 years of successful application, has been developed to deliver superior protection for a wide range of RO systems producing potable water or purifying industrial water. Metito products are NSF approved.
- Cleaners: The CIP process is an integral part of RO operation and the use of effective cleaners assures that the cleaning brings the expected restoration of the RO plant. Metito has a comprehensive range of cleaners uniquely formulated to remove mineral scales, organic deposits and/or micro-bio based fouling material. The available cleaners are acidic and alkaline types mixed and empowered by enhancers to maximise the outcome of the cleaning process.
- Biocides: Bio-growth and fouling of the RO membranes are common challenges that lead to upsets in the RO operation. The use of effective and properly selected non-oxidising biocides against wide range of bacteria can bring effective control to microbiological fouling in the RO membranes and guarantee a steady operation , preventing unplanned downtime.
- Pre-Treatment: One of the requirements for RO operation is low SDI, no chlorine and proper pH in RO feed water. In some cases this requires the feeding of pre-treatment chemicals for maximising membrane productivity and performance. Metito has a wide range of coagulants, dechlorination agents and acids to address such requirements efficiently.
- Thermal Desalination: Metito’s treatment programs provide superior performance, controlling scales and foaming challenges in high temperature brine plants.
Key Benefits Metito provides for Desalination of water in UAE
- Design of seawater intake and brine outfall fulfills environmental guidelines to sustain the rich marine life in the area.
- Reliable design assures a trouble free operation.
- Integrating a range of software (online hydraulic modelling and leak detection), hardware and services that integrates the concept of “Internet-of-things” and augments reality to monitor the plant’s water and electricity network, ensures a timely and comprehensive on line monitoring of the entire operations, consistent water quality and compliance to international standards and client specifications.
- Utilizing state of the art technology in energy recovery lowers energy consumption and carbon footprint to minimum level.
- Equipping the plant with standby generators secures 50% operating capacity for emergency situations and ensuring no downtime.
- A total solution for the water needs of the resort
- An efficient design that takes into consideration the stringent requirements set by the owner and the project manager
- An ‘’Environmentally Friendly” plant that has minimum effect on the surrounding marine life and coral formations
- Well proven technology and reliable design that meant trouble free operation and minimum downtime time
- Lower energy usage due to the utilization of specific environmentally friendly equipment, which results in a lower carbon footprint
- Full local support and customer service, in a world-class quality, from a well established company
Financial Benefits of Desalination of water in UAE
- An efficient design that takes into consideration the stringent requirements laid down by the owner and the consultant, and that saves on the cost of prime land that would have been alternatively required to build a horizontal plant instead of multi story structure
Environmental Benefits Desalination of water in UAE
- Practical measures have been taken to preserve marine life and the surrounding environment after conducting an Environmental Impact Assessment study to assess the area affected by the construction and operation of the plant, and thereby develop the required measures to minimize environmental impacts
- The technologies used reduce the eco footprint of the plant as they are integrated using low carbon emission equipment such as turbo chargers which are able to recover energy from brine